Thursday, March 22, 2012

Recurring


You know that dream...the one where you find yourself wandering the halls of a high school, nodding your head at guys and winking at cute girls?  You're not sure how you got there.  You don't really remember the layout and even some of the people; you think to yourself maybe it's more of an amalgam of lots of places and times than a strict remembrance, but it feels perfectly normal until you realize people are staring and pointing.  And then you notice what's wrong:

Son of a bitch; I'm naked, aren't I?

As I get older, two things occur to me.  First, that dream isn't as intimidating or awkward as it used to be.  Body image concerns and general embarrassment are a little like stage fright; some people have to get loosened up a bit and afterwards they're totally fine, and some people just need practice.  Some people can't get past it, and some just never give a shit in the first place.  The older I get, the less I am concerned about what people think of me in general.

Second, when it happens in real life the judge isn't nearly as tolerant as one would hope.

No comments: